Chicken Barley Salad
A better-for-you twist on chicken salad using whole grain barley, fresh fruit and herbs with a citrus vinaigrette
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick cook barley, uncooked
- PAM® Organic Canola Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Gulden's® Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup cut-up fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or mint
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Bring water in medium saucepan to a boil over high heat. Stir in barley, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, if necessary, and spread in shallow pan to cool.
- Meanwhile, spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle chicken with half of the salt. Place chicken in skillet and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring several times. Remove from skillet and cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk together orange peel, orange juice, lime juice, oil, mustard, honey and the remaining salt in small bowl until blended.
- Place barley and chicken in large bowl. Add orange juice mixture and stir to combine. Add strawberries, blueberries, walnuts and basil; toss together. Serve immediately, on lettuce leaves, if desired. Salad is best at room temperature.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat||21 g||33%|
|Saturated fat||3 g||13%|
|Dietary fiber||7 g||27%|
About our Nutrition Information
You have successfully submitted your rating or review for this recipe. If you submitted a review, please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.